?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Reserved!

  • Jun. 1st, 2006 at 8:56 AM
Muse....
I'm totally against the reservation thing. But sadly (for this countries future?), I'm not too keen on trying to solve the problem. I know my shouts will just fall upon deaf ears. I've seen how this country works, I've seen its citizens, I've seen its law enforcement, I've seen its corruption, I've seen its bureaucracy. The government is hell bent on fscking the country of what dignity it had left.

For a long time, I was brought up with the notion of Brittan being the big bad bulldog. However, My teachers did'nt have enough of a grip on my powers of understanding and before long, I was miles ahead of them. The British, I wish they'd just stayed on in India and turned it into a bigger, better Hong-Kong. :oP Yeah, just kidding, I know that would never have happened, Seeing India for the kind of country that it is, I'd better best put it down to a fit of wishful thinking. lol!

NEhoo.... India is on it's way to the dumps, and as soon as I can drag myself away from its frontiers, I'll just up and leave and never come back. This quota thingy was the last straw. I've seen ridiculous propaganda, I've seen selfish arrogance with the (so called) leaders of this country. Sadly, this time, it was pure lack of mental ability. In the position that they've been elected into, I consider that utterly unforgivable!

This country has never done anything (ANYTHING!!) for me, except for teaching me about the intricacies and levels of corruption and pathetisense (coinage?). I've given up. No kidding!

I used to love this country once. I still love what this country was. But today, I can't believe that I could have ever liked it. Yuck!! My eyes had been shuttered before, but now, they have been opened.

Don't get me wrong. India is a beautiful country. The culture (though out of date) definitely rawks!! It almost kicks @ss. However, with the way things are going, I know that what beauty that still exists/remains, will not last long. We can't live on the laurels of our ancient ancestors any more.

One person can't shake the country. People go on and on about Gandhi and his awesomeness. What of it? I say! If he had'nt gone on and on about Ahimsa and stuff, We'd still have a powerful country. We'd still have intellectual survival. Gandhi did what most radical leaders did. They took an unconventional concept, and then boggled the mindless among our population. India was already on the downhill ride by then, and you can believe me when I say that that population was HUGE!!

Why do the most intelligent Indians choose to leave the country? They hate it. When a second, third or fourth generation NRI becomes something, achieves something on an international level, India goes screaming; "He's Indian!!". But how many of those achievers can you refer to who love to attribute any (ANY) of their achievements to India itself? Some may (after torture) admit that they own their birth to this country. But their achievements, they'd die before they're 'forced' to claim anything of the sort.

There are some who love the joyride, who love the popularity. They are the ONLY ones who admit any relationship with the country.

Note: This is a rant. If you disagree, please feel free to ignore this post. If you agree, you're welcome to comment.

//update to note:
The reason I say this, is because I'm not inclined to pursue an argument. I have my thoughts, and you may criticize them. But my morals and general feeling toward the country is beyond contest. Post what you please in comment, but don't expect me to try and battle it out. I could'nt care less whether anyone agrees with me or not.


P.S.: You may hotlink to this post if you like. No copy-paste please. Thankyou.

Comments

pinak wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 05:09 am (UTC)
Reservation.. only time can tell if it'll do any good. Although, I am still skeptical about the fact that to balance social imbalance u introduce another imbalance... it won't be long before it fails...soon the non-minorities will be minorities.

Nature has its own way of balancing things... someday the 'bad' political system will be overthrown. The storm is building!
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:00 pm (UTC)
Naah, not only time. :) I can tell you right now. lol! The reservation will only serve to mess up the chances of good education to become better. It will reduce the quality of graduates and well.... Mayhem shall break loose.

India prides itself on the intelligence levels of its citizens. Those that pass out NEhoo.... But soon, that shall not hold true.

Nature has its own way of balancing things...

True. India will become extinct. :o)
karthik wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:06 am (UTC)
Absolutely agree with ya. As one of my uncles said, its a 'Quit India' of sorts for those who are against reservation.
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:02 pm (UTC)
Hmmm.... I'll embrace your uncles term. Quit India is is. I dunno what the government was thinking exactly, but I know this, India survives because of the educational upper-caste. Soon, that intellectually elite shall leave and go elsewhere. India is killing itself. :(
(Anonymous) wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 08:42 am (UTC)
Keep the fight against reservation alive till equality is restored
let the force be with and God give us the power and courage to fight this battle till the end. We cannot afford to lose this battle as this is the most important battle in the life of our times and history should not accuse of being cowards. It's time to show courage to stick to the cause. We need to motivate, encourage and persuade ourselves to the cause of equality and try to campaign actively, everyday, every night and every breath for this cause. Withdrawal of the strike by doctors does not mean anything to the campaign. The campaign will continue till equality is restored in the society. We need to keep the campaign alive and need to ensure that this fight continues for weeks and months till the government and Supreme Court make a case in our favor and abolish all forms of reservation. The fight has to be persistent and continuous and non-violent and there must be no let down and it must gather momentum every day and fall on the government like a huge juggernauting snowball. In a soceity where there is abundance creating quota does not adversely effect the legitmate receivers of benefit. In our country with its meager resources providing quota means harming the legitmate meritorious students. principles and ideals which were on the forefront during independence times have taken back seat with the current parliamentarians. The current breed of parliamentarians work for benefit of themselves and their community. They are unconcerned about their acts adversely effecting huge sections of population. They reinforce their arguments with seemingly irrational arguments. The current media quality has deteriorated to such low standards that emotional and irrational logic are made to sound seeming and reasonable. The need is to continue the agitation till the equality is resotred in democracy. Everyone must do their part in spreading the word and strenghtening the campaign.
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:35 pm (UTC)
Some sacrifices are necessary, before the government turns around and comes back to reality. I'm one of them.

The country will have to degenerate enough to allow the lower classes (education wise) to see that the government did no good with their quota system. That degeneration will only come with a sacrifice (some cases, will end up being permanent, but that's a risk). The intellectual upperclass will have to dissociate themselves from the country. Once enough brain-leeching has been achieved, overall peace and tranquility will vanish.

The villages will not prosper, cities will become hulking unkempt ruins from disuse and neglect.... It will look ugly. But if the reservation issue is not fixed quickly, that's where it will lead to. That would be the last frontier. Sacrifice.

That's when the politico will see that they lost everything they intended to gain. There's no use being a member of Parliament, or the ruling party if there's no country to rule over.

Kaydeeyoh, and thanks for your comment. However, I would appreciate it if you left a name or something. It's odd replying to an anonymous comment that in most likeliness, will never be followed up by the author.

P.S.: I'm not being a coward, I'm being realistic. Most of what the country is run on is ridiculous. It's a lost battle if people are'nt willing to accept reality for what it is. I've got a good understanding of the ruling parties and their propaganda. just putting up a fight is'nt gonna work. We need a boycott! NOW!!
(no subject) - fugney - Jun. 1st, 2006 02:18 pm (UTC)
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:04 pm (UTC)
Oh, I give people the freedom to say what they like. My intention was to imply that I'm not gonna argue about this situation. It's not an interesting argument. :) I'll update the post to reflect that. :)
alexli wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:40 pm (UTC)
I kind of know what you mean even if i don't not a big fan of history.
you might be proud of what Gandhi did back then but not have anything to show off now. we always talk about how great ancient greece was but the question is do we have anything to show now? the problem is more general i think, i don't know why but among with the liberation of spirit and the freedom of mind,came come the over-investigation and the advertisement of anything.
of course there are people like you who still are worth of a lot of things.
but as a poet said
from nowwhere it is much easier to get anywhere!
maybe the problem is that there is no problem
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 02:50 pm (UTC)
maybe the problem is that there is no problem

That's so true! Especially in this case. The Government of India is still possessed by the caste system. India is known for it's caste discrimination since way back in the days of the Ramayana and Mahabharata. However, suddenly, the politico are of the opinion that generations of maltreatment must be fixed by the current generation.

Not only is this logic skewed, but it is irrelevant in the current day and age.

People of the intellectual classes in India do not discriminate against castes as a generic rule of thumb. There are a few, I'll admit, but those are few and far apart. People have worked hard to achieve caste equality, but it's a slow process. The government thinks that providing a special quota of reserved seats in the countries universities and other educational institutions will solve the backward castes.

However, I would suggest providing a reservation for the socially backward, and NOT for the backward Castes as a generic population. There are some among the lowest castes who are brilliant people, people who have achieved a lot in their lives. They are'nt barred from accessing the quota. There are those who are poor and starving from the upper castes. They don't get a quota. What's the justice in that? That's my argument.

The Government of India is approaching the WRONG problem!

As to what Greece today has to show, it's a wonderful civilization, a culture that is highly evolved and has a clearly marked out hierarchy. That's something India had once.... It's gone now.

I'm not a history guy myself, but in my line of investigation, I've learned a bit here and there.... Just about enough to get by. However, I wish to learn more. There's a lot I'm still way behind in, and that I need to catch up on.
alexli wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 07:41 pm (UTC)
tell me how come i never see you online?

angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 02:51 pm (UTC)
I'm usually on GTalk.... But sometimes, Yahoo and MSN too.... often, I'm online, but not on any Instant Messengers.... It's strange.
raghunath wrote:
Jun. 1st, 2006 09:38 pm (UTC)
The sad part is Government is not even ready to do a 'Scientific Study', since the obvious answer is that the reservation didn't helped the matters. One good thing that came out of the medicos protests is that GOI is pumping more money into the 'Higher Education' which is required for this Billion plus population (of course at the cost of quality dilution).
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 07:35 am (UTC)
You got the point before I did! :o)

Quality Dilution! That's the last thing a growing country like India needs. There was a time when people would look and India and shake in their boots. Once the Reservation Bill is passed, They'll look at India and laugh their guts apart, wondering who the devil was running affairs out here.

No matter how much money the GOI pumps into this endeavor, the quota system will only serve to raise whitened knuckles and internal conflicts. WTF was the GOI thinking? I have no clue!!

This country is dead. :o)
mansu wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 01:12 pm (UTC)
Unfortunately, no one mentions private universities as a solution. I think those will take india ahead. They will do the same magic(if organised well) as the private schools did.

angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 01:26 pm (UTC)
And how many private universities are spared of any kind of reservations? So far, I can't think of any. Worse yet, Private Universities are hard to set up. They also cost a lot. The government will have enough on it'd mind trying to fund public Universities with the new reservation system, that they won't care to extend the same kind of benevolence to private Univs.

The GOI is going down.... down where it's dark and hollow. What makes you think it will work?

I agree that theoretically, it's a prefect solution. However, in the real world, India is still a developing nation. It simply does not have the resources to spare to bring about many more private Univs. Certainly not enough to compensate for the GOI's reservation funda. It will not work in the real world. Furthermore, the moment the reservation goes into full implementation, India will stop developing at such a brisk pace. We'll slow down, and eventually, we'll degenerate.

That's the crux of the matter as I see it NEhoo....
mansu wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 02:16 pm (UTC)
Nope private univs will not be reserved because, they can reject it on the grounds that their operational costs are high.

But the cost of education will be so high that only highly paid jobs and bank loans would make that possible.

Also good youth in politics will also turn the tables around. But it definately is not a doom's day. Its just a matter of 20-30 years before we change towards better.
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 2nd, 2006 03:07 pm (UTC)
They can reject it of course. But you seem to think that the politico has zero influence with the private institutions' management. Trust me, there's enough pull. Besides, The government will PAY an institution to ensure a quota is in place.

I know for a fact that Governments pay foreign companies to establish large manufacturing plants in their states or countries. They give them subsidies, they give them a lot of under-the-table crap. But it's not bullshit. That's tax-payers money they're doling out.

As you very correctly pointed out, the cost of education will be so high that highly paid jobs and bank loans would make it possible. What would stop a parent from sending his or her kid to the states for a comparatively better education if they will be paying through the nose either way. Perhaps even less if they send them abroad since the kid will soon be able to pay their way through their stay and studies.

Good youth in Politics will definitely fix the problem. However, don't for a moment imagine that the politicians currently in place have any intention of letting good youth into their tightly spun circles. India is way more corrupt than you seem to think it is. There are a few good youth today, but that number will remain a pathetic minority for the majority of this century, you can take my word for that.

It's not dooms day yet. But it will be if a proper solution is not chosen. I've chosen my words carefully. The solutions exist, they don't need to be found. They just have to be accepted and implemented by the GOI.

Sadly, you can count your chickens this time, before they hatch. The GOI's not gonna settle on any of the numerous solutions. They want re-election. and if the bill gets passed, their chances of re-election are tenfold! if they stall the bill and crash it, or even attempt a decent enough compromise, the uneducated masses will vote them out of the Parliament.

It's a Catch-22 situation as far as the party is concerned. They should never have publicized or promoted the idea of a reservation in the first place, and they would have avoided this tug-of-war entirely.

If anything, they could have gained their votes if they had introduced the bill a few days before the election and rejected it upon re-election.

Sadly, they're uneducated for the most part. They have no idea what awaits them now. Pathetic freaks!
(Anonymous) wrote:
Jun. 4th, 2006 03:15 pm (UTC)
Comment-- "Reserved"
The only thing that occurs to my mind is ....to pack my bags off and just get the hell outa here!! Nope..I m not being a coward in selecting this cj\hoice..its as straight as it is and the most logical one to do it...I dunnot wanta waste anymore time in fighting an already lost battle..its an entire exercise in futility..........

I just cannot imagine myself stuck in a society where incompetent nincompoops rule and impose whatever they choose to like its their private fiefdom....just to garner more votes so that they sustain themselves in a fool's paradise....for how long would this continue....??? Not for long.....the illusion shall not continue for long......these fools shall grovel in front of the intellectually elite for access to knowledge...when they realise that they have self-annihilated themselves......

Long live Merit...It already died a zillion deaths since the day the concept of reseravtion took birth....

Venkata Avinash...aka....catchmanblue

angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 4th, 2006 09:50 pm (UTC)
Re: Comment-- "Reserved"
I support that viewpoint of yours. Makes perfect sense to me.

As you say:

Not for long.....the illusion shall not continue for long......these fools shall grovel in front of the intellectually elite for access to knowledge...when they realise that they have self-annihilated themselves

In my opinion, this will last a long time (unless someone in the GOI realizes their folly and goes about fixing it ASAP). They're dumb enough to ignore the reality of the situatuion today. Ten years down the line, they'll still be dumb. Enlightenment will take time to reach them (if at all). I fear the GOI requires to be overthrown.

The fact of the matter is that the GOI has made such a big issue of this.... Now, if they decide to eliminate/reverse the quota bill altogether, the labour classes and the SC/ST people will begin a rebellion.

They've hemmed themselves into a corner they can't expect to fight out of easily. They're suX0rred!! :o)
simplysaps wrote:
Jun. 12th, 2006 01:55 pm (UTC)
I totally agree & support all that you've talked about...though maybe I've never really really been a part of India....I would rather proud myself in saying...that I'm born & brought up in Dubai.

But, the fact remains that the system has existed since years....people have gotten up, fought & than after some time its down to square one..Yes!! It's encouraging to know that atleast our present president promotes the education policy but what's really the benefit if the access to the same is based on social grounds rather than intellectual..
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 15th, 2006 02:08 pm (UTC)
I believe in social grounds for education support. But diluting intellect with caste and creed is simply another stick in the mud that the government seems to want to cash in on for a lunge at a second win in the next elections.

The things people do for power and money! I'll never love a nation with such promises.
mystifiedrits wrote:
Jun. 12th, 2006 06:14 pm (UTC)
My problem with this whole argument
(Hiya Sid, Long time no see... I just got my butt on here, thot i'd add my two cents)

You see, when Educated, Smart people leave the country in large numbers, and/or decide not to do anything about the current/pressing issues and all we have left is the uneducated/dumbasses people, a country often finds itself in a situation much like this current one with the reservations... and more smart people leave the country, creating a vicious cycle.

What ever happened to "Lets take matters into our own hands?" or "lets take a stand". The fact that everyone is running away is not going to help anyone. In the long run there will be no country left.

This situation is created mostly by the upper-class/upper-caste educated elites who refuse to vote every year. And the college graduates who want nothing to do with politics. If we wont play a part in the way our country is run, then the only people left to do so are the idiots who you are now blaming for running the country into the ground.

Even now there is a lot more room for protesting and a lot more room for change, but most young people (not very different than yourself) choose not to do anything about the matter. Yeah sure, take the easy way out... Run away, till you have no where else to run...

I know its easier said than done (esp for me, who is sitting a gazillion miles away from all of this) but if we let the govt. get away with this, we will never be able to stand up against the shit that rules our country right now.

We have to take a stand, leaving the country does nothing more than abandoning it in the time of its need. Then what makes you any different than the people who are ruining it in the first place?
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 21st, 2006 08:39 am (UTC)
Re: My problem with this whole argument
(Hey Ritz! Awesome seeing you here. Welcome to LJ!!) :o)

Vicious cycle it sure is! :(

What ever happened to "Lets take matters into our own hands?" or "lets take a stand".

People have tried, ....but one cannot hope to complete a full circle on ones own. One needs a helping hand, a supporting force of sorts. You can't shake a hand unless the hand is outstretched. As they say in Hindi "Taali ek Haath se nahin bajti".

Both parties gotta make a move toward each other. After a while of trying, if there appears to be zero assistance in terms of meeting mid-way, the initiating party will just give up and hope never to see the other party ever again. That's what's happened.

Our politicians want one thing very dearly. Money!! The other thing that comes at a close second on their shopping list, is power. Power comes from re-election.

The upper-class have given up trying to elect a responsible government since such a thing (they know) does'nt exist. Every party in power tends to corrupt itself. The pull of their lust for dosh does them in. No matter who you elect, you'll find them turning their backs on well being. They should call themselves 'Supporters of Satan' or something better! :o)

If we wont play a part in the way our country is run, then the only people left to do so are the idiots who you are now blaming for running the country into the ground.

I don't blame them for running the country into the ground. I blame the culture we've bred, I blame the facts as they stand.

The Medical guys put up one heck of a commendable fight. But with the power of the Government, their pleas and shouts of treason were submerged and drowned into silence. With Media-Blankets and Big-Brotherization of coverage, it was all to no avail.

When people are given power, education and responsibility are not given weightage. Of course, Education and Wisdom gets the power in the first place, but thereafter, all new recruits taken under the wing of power is kept in the dark (Because mindless people and followers are easier to control). Finally, the Educated apex of the politico dies out and viola! We have power, but no wisdom.

People are selfish. There are no two ways of avoiding that. The only thing to do is to keep it in check. Culture and benevolence does that.

India.... Culture.... Outdated. A vicious cycle prevents it from advancing. We're stuck!

Why leave the country? If we leave, the country has a much better chance of dying out. Existing systems will crumble and fall. What people remain would be desperate to revive. They'd try anything!! And that's where we patriotic freaks drop back into the picture after having left India to its dumb ass problems. We step in and lend them a helping hand.

You see, trying to help the country now is pointless. A person who feels helpless would be glad to be given a hand. They'd even take the help and improve. But someone who thinks they're doing great will never respect the value of your help. They'd slap your hand away and throw you behind bars.

That's India today.

I'm not giving up on the country and leaving for greener pastures. That's merely the short-term view of the picture. The bigger picture is way different. Let India atrophy and crumble on itself. Then, I'll come back and build a new and better place for everyone.

India is currently beyond help. You can't help someone who does'nt want your help, but instead, shuns it.

Abandoning it? Nope. Just letting it consume itself till it's ready for an embrace. :o)
(Anonymous) wrote:
Mar. 2nd, 2007 08:11 am (UTC)
You are right
Hi there! Author, I absolutely agree with you.
And just nice blog, interesting site name angiasaa.livejournal.com :), I see you you're are not newbe. Go on with the great work!
angiasaa wrote:
May. 5th, 2007 10:46 pm (UTC)
Re: You are right
Hi there dear Anonymous Friend,

Great to see a post from someone outside of LJ, however, it feels a bit odd replying to someone without a name or blog.

Would have been nice if you'd have left a trail so I could check out some of your own stuff.

Thanks a ton for the compliment, I'm honoured.