?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Gawd el Merci!  :o)

  • Apr. 15th, 2006 at 1:50 AM
Sly Smile
I've been having a nice tame little discussion on desichama's blog about god and closely related things.  Mostly, the relevance of God.  As a creation, and as a reality.

People talk of god as a being, as someone....  This omnipotent being that takes care of matters that surround us.  I for one believe differently.

To me, God is merely a thought.  The idea of god was a creation of our own minds.  Something that the Freud in you would catch onto mighty quick (assuming you payed enough non-biassed attention to the logic behind the facts, of course.

When man first stepped onto the planet, where was God?  Apart from the _fact_ that it must have been the 7th day at the time.  :o)  Humans did'nt evolve, we were just placed here.  I've poked holes in the bible and a few other texts before in public, and have been hailed a non-believer by numerous groups on the web.  They somehow end up in a dark alley when it comes to filling in the holes I poke.  Many a group have made regretful faces at having bumped into the Kaydeeyoh  likes of me.  An even greater number have fought me in my (so called) non-belief of their faiths.  And a small number have dissolved themselves through the rapid devolution of understanding.  It's sad really, because I've read so many religious texts, I've dedicated a lot of my time to understanding these religions, and at the end of the day, what I find is that people follow their religions so blindly, that they forget the evolution of religion itself.

I have respect for these religions.  They are awesome constructs that could'nt possibly have been created in a short span of time.  Religion, is as an organism, only more rigid in its evolutionary stance.  We all know from concrete evidence that religion was'nt something that existed since forever.  Man did'nt always believe in a God either.  They were formulated a long time after humanity began living in packs and groups.  Just as the constitution of marriage is just that, a constitution, Religion is a fabrication just the same.

I've asked my self the question over and over and over  ....AND OVER!  And for a very long time, I had no real idea.  There was of course the numbing sensation of being on the verge of realization, but the pebble refused to decide what side of the fence to fall into.  Suddenly, *splat*  It clicked.  And I knew I had known it all along.  We're a class of social animal that is doomed to do this to ourselves.  (There are exceptions.  I'm one!  Some of them are very very dumb exceptions however, but they are there.)

So why do people believe blindly in something?  Something as potent and renown as the concept of a 'god'?  Well, the answer is simple.  It's a fabrication that actually helps us in the long run.  There are those among us who find it hard to do much on our own.  Some very intelligent people are essentially closed minded.  No matter how hard they might try to understand the concept, they'd always get pulled back to the roots that they were born with.  It's sad, and it's shocking.  But it's working.  More importantly, it works wonders!!

If one believes that they will be 'really' protected by a prayer, then _that_ is their confidence booster, that's what'll get them through a rough situation.  It's not gonna be what gets him through.  It's just that his or her comfort levels rise.

It's not 'I must, and god please help me'.  It's '_I believe_ he'll help me', but he does'nt help me, it's the boost that I get thinking that I'm being protected (however false the idea may be) that gets me through the ordeal.

You see, people fear a lot of things.  Kids fear the dark.  They think dragons would suddenly jump at them and rip their throats into spaghetti.  However, We all know that's not happening on his/her way to the loo at night.  Still, You can sit with the kid, invent a god, pray to the god, and the kid goes to the loo.  The kid thinks "Wow!  No ghastly creatures, I really must be protected."  The next time, the kid prays before hitting the path to the loo thinking that that god will be watching over him/her.

With time, these small things build up and by the time we're 40, we believe it all so strongly, we're hooked!

Someone saying "God's just a made up effigy!" would most likely be thrown in jail for profanity.

Sad, but true, freedom is'nt what it should have been.

There are a lot of people who are open-minded enough to accept people with differing opinions.  However, there are too few of them out there.

Tolerance.  Bah!  That's something we began to lose very rapidly ever since the transformation from the caves to flatter lands and stone huts.

If you ask me for an honest answer, I think this God stuff is cool and definitely worth spreading.  There are simply too many people who cannot take care of themselves.  The pseudo confidence it gives is definitely worth the feignment.  Given a choice to be born again, I'd rather remain unenlightened.  Seriously, belief in something....  Anything for that matter can do wonders.  Reality is way too shocking for the normal mind.  And I'm normal (I think!).

I respect peoples beliefs, I don't insist that people change religions, nor do I insist that they dis-believe the stuff.  However, I for one, am stuck in a state where I can't see the benevolent side of the great beyond.  :)  Or so they'd like to think, would'nt they?  :o)


Note:  All replies shall be screened, as usual
Note:  All replies shall NOT be screened, as is usually done!

Comments

_aks_ wrote:
Apr. 14th, 2006 09:37 pm (UTC)
"So why do people believe blindly in something?"
Just wanted to know what "blindly" meant there.
angiasaa wrote:
Apr. 14th, 2006 09:53 pm (UTC)
'Blindly' in this context being:

Unwilling to discern or judge, UNQUESTIONING 'blind faith' having no regard to rational discrimination, guidance, or restriction, lacking a directing or controlling consciousness, made or done without sight of certain knowledge of certain facts that could serve for guidance....

I thought the term blind was connotated enough to imply the 'blind faith' accent on the phrase.
_aks_ wrote:
Apr. 14th, 2006 10:16 pm (UTC)
Lets consider Newton, would blind apply to him when he said "gravity"? cause at that time I believe there were things falling of the trees and birds flying off them too ... but he struck to falling things,(no regard to rational discrimination, guidance, or restriction)
***********************************
"a directing or controlling consciousness" - is what leads a person into faith...atleast thats what I have...
***********************************
made or done without sight of "certain knowledge" of "certain facts" that could serve for guidance....

what knowledge of the fact that it will have to swim for the rest of its life, do you think a new born fish has?
What knowledge of the fact that it is not safe to get close to acid does a "cell" have when left in between blood and acid?? why does it move towards blood?
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:21 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 16th, 2006 06:04 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:38 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:08 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 01:59 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 06:18 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:02 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 01:43 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 18th, 2006 03:16 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 03:46 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 19th, 2006 11:36 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:42 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:11 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 02:05 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 11:45 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:30 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:40 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 01:07 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 16th, 2006 02:44 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 07:52 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 16th, 2006 08:04 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 08:50 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 16th, 2006 09:43 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:38 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:16 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:20 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 01:43 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:34 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 02:08 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:21 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 02:09 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 17th, 2006 09:56 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 10:56 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 17th, 2006 11:03 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 11:22 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 17th, 2006 09:55 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 10:57 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 17th, 2006 11:02 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 11:24 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 18th, 2006 01:30 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 18th, 2006 01:55 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 18th, 2006 02:02 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 18th, 2006 05:19 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 18th, 2006 07:12 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 18th, 2006 08:18 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 17th, 2006 07:29 am (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 17th, 2006 02:07 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 06:02 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 01:31 am (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:59 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 05:19 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 05:35 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:02 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:07 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:20 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:22 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 19th, 2006 12:19 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 19th, 2006 02:58 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 05:29 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 05:36 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 19th, 2006 11:48 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 20th, 2006 09:22 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 20th, 2006 12:59 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 21st, 2006 01:58 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 21st, 2006 07:39 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 21st, 2006 08:04 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:12 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:16 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:29 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:33 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 18th, 2006 06:37 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 19th, 2006 03:20 am (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 19th, 2006 04:41 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 19th, 2006 12:05 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 19th, 2006 12:03 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 19th, 2006 08:47 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 20th, 2006 11:58 am (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 20th, 2006 02:04 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 20th, 2006 05:46 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 20th, 2006 06:47 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 20th, 2006 12:28 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - _aks_ - Apr. 20th, 2006 08:47 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 20th, 2006 11:57 am (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 08:45 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:08 am (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:18 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 11:32 am (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 11:37 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:14 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - ex_ga_woo - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:54 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 01:05 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 16th, 2006 03:15 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 07:42 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - subtle_blues - Apr. 16th, 2006 08:08 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 08:50 pm (UTC)
befkoof wrote:
Apr. 15th, 2006 12:00 am (UTC)
I think you're right na...religions are only human constructs after all. Thats why none of them *are* perfect...and you're right they're supposedd to evolve and change with changing circumstances but they rarely do :)
angiasaa wrote:
Apr. 15th, 2006 11:50 pm (UTC)
The funny thing about religion....

You see, the sciences, literature, blah-blah, etceterra have all been advancing through the ages.... But Religion? It's been stuck like this for centuries. According to the texts I've read, it seems that religion did indeed have a period of advancements in the form of change. But sadly, there's absolutely no evidence of anything further being evolved.

There have been newer religions that have sprung up from time to time. Sadly, even those stop evolvnig and begin a downturn.

They're outdated and they're not doing anything to look intelligently at the changing world around them.
befkoof wrote:
Apr. 16th, 2006 12:07 am (UTC)
It depends though its not about the religion inherentli, its more about peoples perspective on what they're supposed to do with it..

If you take things from a completeli literal sense, then its a lot to expect that it will b entireli relevant to u and that nothing should change :) It's just that humans r humans..and they don't likee change. Wherever they can stop things changing they will :)

So I guess a religion doesn't needd to be completeli dynamic, it just needs to highlight the lessons that are in between the lines... which is hard...because although those lessons r timeless they require more thinking :P
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 12:29 am (UTC)
(no subject) - befkoof - Apr. 16th, 2006 10:06 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 11:56 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 16th, 2006 11:58 am (UTC)
(no subject) - befkoof - Apr. 17th, 2006 09:20 am (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 06:46 pm (UTC)
(no subject) - angiasaa - Apr. 17th, 2006 06:48 pm (UTC)
desichama wrote:
Apr. 15th, 2006 03:23 am (UTC)
OHMYGOD...i might've to agree..
ummm....i do've belief in GOD..i can't just take anything away from my mind just like that..it's there thas it!
THANKS FOR TAKIN TIME
angiasaa wrote:
Apr. 15th, 2006 11:56 pm (UTC)
Belief in a God is not a bad thing. All I'm saying, is that it's a human construct. It's not good or bad, it's like a crutch. You break your leg, you use a crutch to support you.

Some people, they never do stop using their crutches, because they become psychologically so dependant no it with the passage of time, that after a while, they truly believe that a life does not exist without it.

Still, I said so earlier, and I say so again, The comparison I've just drawn is metaphorical. I don't mean to imply that these human consructs are crutches. :P But you get the drift, don't you? It's like a tool.

It helps us achieve ends, and it does so from a psychological perspective. There's no omnipotent guy in the sky who wills "Let there be light!" and a nuclear fusion reactor appears in space within the orbit of Mercury and its mates. :o)
_aks_ wrote:
Apr. 18th, 2006 05:01 am (UTC)
I am reading about ESP. Will get back to you. Give me some sources if you prefer any.
angiasaa wrote:
Apr. 18th, 2006 03:40 pm (UTC)
Most of my sources are full and far apart. I started off with "The Search for Psychic Power" by David Hammond. That was when I was six and a half years old, and it served to get me interested in the field itself.

With the passage of time, I've scoured numerous books from every library that I've been a member of. Strangely, you'll find a phenomenally large collection in the Secunderabad Club Library. Do check that out when you're in town.

Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken takes you on a related research cruise on related phenomena and so-called unexplanables. You'll find it an interesting read, though it takes you a bit off the track toward other phenomenon.I've been a subscriber of "Psychic" Magazine ever since Vol.4 Sadly, they're out of circulation now, so you might fare pretty well with older issues if you can get your hands on any.

If you're looking for individual researchers, you'd fare pretty well to get in touch with Dr. Harold Puthoff or Russel Targ at the Stanford Research Institute (Targ's about 50-60 years old now, and is a bit amnesic from time to time, so you'll have to bear with his deviations from time to time.) As forgetful as he is now, most of his earlier work is excellent and you'll find it online too if you look around.

Then there's Harold Sherman. I met him by accident once when I was in Delhi. He's ESP Manual, at Human Development Associates Inc. The firm worked with Government funding for a good long time during and after the cold-war.

As to the most successful experiments, the EEG Experiments with Patrick Price and Uri Gellar (you must have heard of Uri, He's famous as hell!) were incredibly informative.

I must admit, I was initially propelled by the phenomenon of Psycho Kinesis (or PK). With time, my determination changed directions often. In the process, I learned a lot of stuff.

I'd suggest that you check out this stuff only if you find yourself _really_ interested in the subject. It can ge mighty boring or irritating from time to time. Determination is the key.

There are many other sources out there on the net. You can start with Wiki and then move on through Google and Clusty.... There's a world-full of such phenomena out there and most of the time, it's the researched ones that are publicized. Have fun!
(Anonymous) wrote:
Apr. 29th, 2006 06:18 pm (UTC)
I hear ya! The 'God" of our creation really is there. Right beside you "walking with you all the way". He is the omnipotent being that takes care of you "like a mother comforts you". And this is the still small voice within you which you learn to crush with high faluting education and logic. We are the "gods of our own idolotary". Never underestimate yourself. we do this every day by deciding what we can do and what we can't do. These are self imposed limits. Don't decide to jump off the Empire State Building without wings coz you would have be scraped off the pavement, but, yes, you can decide you want to do something and then use your ceativity to innovate a new way of getting to the bottom or the top. The choice is always our own so why not exert it and stop blaming agencies like karma, God, religion or "someone" for ones own inefficiency or success!
angiasaa wrote:
May. 1st, 2006 10:53 pm (UTC)
If moses had jumped off the Empire State Building (non-existent in his time), I'm quite certain his God would have stood by and watched as he was flattened at pavement level. If, on the other hand, he used a parachute (non-existent in those days), his people would have believed that God saved him from instant death, God gave him wings or something.

The question is _not_ what can or cannot be done. Instead, it is a question of belief in a support system or belief in reality.

The choice, as you say, does indeed exist. To the bottom, or to the top. However, the thing about choices, is that we should decide on making them, based on understanding and faith (where relevant), not on mere faith alone. :o)
(Anonymous) wrote:
Jun. 7th, 2006 07:27 am (UTC)
Surprised????
Hey this is Mital .....was going thru ur blog and just cldnt help myself from posting a comment ....

Here is my take on GOD....I totally do agree with u when u say that God is a thought and is required for pseudo confidence ....but I believe that there is not much of a diff btw pseudo confidence and confidence ....After even if u dont feel confident u can ACT confident and that pretty much results in dissolving of the fear .....

Secondly the idea of GOD persay is also required to make sure that arrogant and ME MYSELF part of human psychic doesnt come into play .....it keeps a man grounded and down to earth ....An attribution to one's achievements , successes to GOD is vital....We need to say when we r on a success high that its "ALL GOD'S GRACE".....It reminds oneself that wat u have 2day has been due to various other factors on which u had no control watsoever ....it reminds that there r others w/o whom success would not have tasted so sweet

So all in all I believe that GOD celebrates the human spirit as a team!!!

Cheers

Mital :0
angiasaa wrote:
Jun. 7th, 2006 12:06 pm (UTC)
Re: Surprised????
Hi Mital,
Nice seeing you here....

For people who can not bring their minds to a level where they can release themselves from their God-stigma, a belief in God is all that keeps them on the ground. But for people who are intellectually progressed enough to grasp the fundamental aspects of God and its existance, a belief in God is detrimental to their advancement as Human Beings.

Religion is outdated, God is a concept that is holding religion back. Mind you, the concept of God is not the only thing holding it back. It's the insufficient intellects who refuse to let it move forward.

Thats the crux of my reasoning, that's the error in the world, that's what's causing todays problems and that's what's freeze-framing our social evolution.

Kaydeeyoh!
:)
(Anonymous) wrote:
Jun. 21st, 2006 06:31 am (UTC)
Re: Surprised????
Yup u r right about concept of GOD hoding people back .....I absolutely agree with u on that? But then how many pple wld come under the category of "intellectually progressed enough to grasp the fundamental aspects of God and its existance" .....I will say ....very very few .....

So for now we cannot let go of GOD completely ...just dephase him step wise step ...which shld work for ALL the pple ....and also lead to moving forward towards social evolution....that shld work ...rite ?

Mital
Re: Surprised???? - angiasaa - Jul. 2nd, 2006 12:03 am (UTC)