?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

E-Mail Your Way to Work

  • Sep. 19th, 2005 at 8:30 PM
Over Stand
People have been asking me what I've been up to. Besides college assignments and presentations, I've been writing. Writing a lot!

Have been busy, have been working.... Here's what I've been working on:

E-Mail Your Way to Work
Angirasa Acharya.



Whether you're trying to catch up with old friends, firing off a letter to your contact-point in a business deal or sticking your finger into the cyber-dating scene, e-mail is becoming an increasingly vital tool of communication.

Over 298 million people around the globe "actively" use e-mail -- a number that's predicted to grow to 440 million by 2008, according to Jupiter Media Metrix. With an estimated 36 billion emails sent per day in 2005 alone. [IDC Research]

E-mail is particularly useful for job seekers, being a fast (and free), efficient way to send their resumes to recruiters not barring distance or geographical terrain. And, numerous professional surveys suggest that the majority of recruiters prefer to receive resumes via e-mail.

But even with these advantages, a set of potential pitfalls might get in the way of your career prospects. E-mail has its own set of social rules that have to be followed. e-mail etiquette is especially important for job seekers to follow.


Create a Brand New E-mail Account:

If you happen to be employed currently, it is a good idea to avoid using your corporate e-mail address for your job search, because, though unethical, your employer might be sneaking peeks at your outgoing mails as well as your inbox.

It's always better to set up a brand new e-mail account to be used exclusively for your search.

Creating an e-mail account is just a matter of a few clicks these days. You can get a new e-mail account from any of several e-mail providers like Yahoo!, MSN, Google, etc. These free providers will give you a certain amount of e-mail space at absolutely no cost. Whatever you do though, just be sure to check your account regularly since most providers tend to deactivate accounts that seem to have fallen into disuse.

While creating the account, it might also be a good idea to use your name or job title in the e-mail address to make it clear who the e-mail is coming from. This tends to score a lot better than the usual run-of-the-mill chatroom names, like fancy_talker or green_eyed_angel. It might take a few tries to find a unique e-mail address, but whatever the end result is, try your best to keep it professional.


Stay Away From Funky Formats:

There are a very large number of people who love to snazz up their e-mail messages by including colourful fonts, wacky fonts, creative wallpaper and animated .gif images.

All of these are fine if you're sending an e-mail to your girlfriend or your eight-year old daughter, but not if you're e-mailing a recruiter.

While writing your e-mail to a recruiter,
•	Do not include images, animations or use e-mail wallpaper.
•	Do not use "emoticons" -- those little text pictures or faces like - :)
	(a smiling face), ;) (a winking face), etc.
•	Use an easy-to-read font that's common to most computers
	(e.g., MS Sans, Times New Roman, Courier New, Arial or Helvetica).
•	Use either a 10-point or 12-point font size.
•	Always make sure that you use a '_black_' font on a '_white_'
	background.

Composing Thoughts: Keep It Short and Sweet

An e-mail message to a recruiter is not the place to get all wordy and superfluous. Recruiters are by definition, busy people, and they will greatly appreciate it if you get right to the point.


To make the text of your e-mail professional and effective:
•	Try your best to get a 'real name' instead of just addressing
	your message to "Human Resources" or "To whom it may concern".
•	Say in your first statement, exactly what job posting it is that you
	are responding to, and where exactly you saw the posting.  If the
	job posting provides a job ID number, make a mention of that as well. 
•	Provide your full contact information (full name, home address and
	phone number, etc.). 
•	At the very end of your message, if you have attached your resume,
	write "Resume attached".  It serves as a reminder for the recruiter to
	actually 'open' your resume.  If you've pasted your resume in the
	actual body of the e-mail itself, write "Resume below" at the end of
	your introductory message (It pays to be as formal and direct as you
	can!).
•	When it comes to the subject line, keep it as brief and informative as
	possible.  If Richard Smith is applying for a job as a Market Analyst, a
	good subject line is "RE: Market Analyst opening, resume of Richard
	 Smith".

First Contact: Sending Your Resume

Sending an e-mail to a recruiter is much more complicated than merely clicking on the "Send" button. To ensure that you send the perfect e-mail, it would be wise to have a procedure in place to catch any mistakes or typos and make sure that the recruiter sees exactly what you want him or her to see.

NEVER put an address in the "To" field until you are 100 percent ready to send the e-mail. I've heard so many stories about job seekers who have sent half-finished messages to recruiters because they accidentally clicked "Send", hit carriage return while focused on the address box, or clicked the wrong button.

When you're absolutely sure that your message is ready, e-mail it to yourself as a test. Most people are not aware of the fact that they can e-mail themselves, but it works. You should set it up as a standard procedure while composing your e-mail. This will allow you to see exactly what the recruiter will see when s/he receives your mail. If you're confident that everything looks good, you can go ahead and send the message to the recruiter.

But accidents do happen. You might have made a small mistake (like a typo) or a phenomenally huge mistake (like not attaching your resume) when you were sending off your e-mail.


Don't panic: Panic never solves anything!

Just assess your options. Check if your e-mail program has a "Recall" function.

If you are unable to recall the vagrant e-mail, you have to decide whether it's really going to be worth sending the recruiter another e-mail to correct the first one. Generally, you should NOT send another e-mail correcting a mistake -- it will only draw attention to your goof up. So let a typo slide and hope and pray that it goes unnoticed.

But if you have committed a massive unforgivable mistake you might be forced to send another e-mail. In the text, quickly and briefly apologize for the error and make sure your second e-mail corrects the error. Run your second e-mail through the screening process above before you send it though, We don't want to have ANY mistakes in this one.

While the electronic age might have added an extra kink into the whole job search process, following the proper protocol while sending an e-mail to a recruiter will make your entire job-hunting experience much quicker and easier, not to mention, a lot more convenient.

We'll have another article running about e-mail etiquette and the actual Resume Do-s and Don't-s, so stay tuned for further articles by the same author every week.



Angirasa Acharya.

//update:Had to make this post 'Friends Only' cause the Khaleej Times won't be publishing this article for a while. On their request, this article has been screened to avoid public revelation before the print version. kdo -- jim....

//update:Finally! I get the go-ahead to make this post public from the joint editor! :o) So, here it is! Back in all it's awful glory, for you all (not on my free-access-list) to check out (and maybe even benefit) from all of this! kdo -- jim....

Tags:

Comments

subtle_blues wrote:
Sep. 19th, 2005 05:35 pm (UTC)
:)
Hey this reminds me of official letter-writing drill that we used to have in School.
format:
date
to
address(Dear, Sir... soemtimes ridiculously even Resected Sir)
Subject
Body
Thanking You
Sincerely
Keerthi.
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 19th, 2005 05:54 pm (UTC)
lol!
subtle_blues wrote:
Sep. 19th, 2005 08:22 pm (UTC)
Jim
that 'lol' reeks of mockery!:-/
gawsh!

angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 12:24 pm (UTC)
gawsh! :o)
subtle_blues wrote:
Sep. 27th, 2005 04:04 am (UTC)
:)
gawsh!
gawd!
.
.
.
hawtt!
.
.
:o)
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 27th, 2005 08:44 pm (UTC)
lol! :o) Dunno why, but that put a smile on my face....
subtle_blues wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 03:30 am (UTC)
care not why..
it's a pleasure though..
:)
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 06:34 pm (UTC)
A pleasure it is. :)
kalyancreddy wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 11:48 am (UTC)
Date(17/08/2005), Place(Umea). Addressee (To The Principal etc) Address (Sir/Madam) Subject (Sub: Application for leave) Body Thanking You. yours faithfully/sincerely, Kalyan
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 12:24 pm (UTC)
Hehe! Now that's what we're talking about! :o)
kalyancreddy wrote:
Sep. 21st, 2005 09:40 am (UTC)
Hehe :)
smithi wrote:
Sep. 19th, 2005 11:14 pm (UTC)
Exactly what i've been reading on writing a resume since i've been applying for some jobs:)
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 12:25 pm (UTC)
Sometimes, we know what is to be done.... We just have to have somebody to tell us in plain words and we take note of it. :o)

I just tell people what they already know. :o)
(no subject) - thekamajournals - Sep. 20th, 2005 03:46 am (UTC)
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 12:31 pm (UTC)
Have been doing great actually. :) Apart from being so busy that I'm sweating profusely in the rain, All else seems to be going great. :o)

Glad you found the article decent. :o) And good luck on the job-search!

Kaydeeyoh!
kalyancreddy wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 11:49 am (UTC)
You are good and you have a lot of patience! Keep uo the good work.
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 20th, 2005 12:29 pm (UTC)
Thankyou. :) You should read this post. :o)

Chances are you've already gone through it, but I just thought I'd mention it again in the freak chance that you have'nt. :)

Thanks for the compliments and Kaydeeyoh!
(no subject) - alexli - Sep. 20th, 2005 01:53 pm (UTC)
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 21st, 2005 05:54 pm (UTC)
Hey Ada!

It's lovely to see you again! I'm alive and kicking.... I'm doing pretty good in a sense. :o)

I've been doing rather badly so far with Management Accounting, but I have a feeling that I'll max the paper this time. :) It was an awesome paper, and I wrote it beautifully. :) Beside that, I guess I'm doing quite decently well in the rest of the subjects, I just hope this is'nt a temporary thing.


my cat gave birth to some little kittens....

Hey.... That's cute! Have you named them yet? :o)

Moving to Athens? Does that mean you'll be renting a place there , going there temporarily or are you actually going there on a permanent basis?


probably studying 3d animation but we'll see how it goes...

3D-Animation is a great idea.... What made you decide to do this though? I've done a little work in 3D-Animation. I'm not that good at it, I'm better with static models....


well i wish you sleepiness and comfort.

Thank you, That's just what I needed! :o)


and don't forget to respect holidays!! ;)

Hehe! That I most definitely will Ada, I will do my best! :o)

Love, F.F.E.A.E. and Kaydeeyoh!
Jim....
sticky_toffee wrote:
Sep. 21st, 2005 01:55 am (UTC)
always the useful person that you are. that was good. :) I'm pretty sure I might read this again when writing my own resume in the future.

ahhh recalling something about you saying that the reason you did this sort of thing was because you were selfish... can you elaborate?
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 21st, 2005 05:22 pm (UTC)
Yes, I do this sorta thing because I'm selfish.... I feel great when someone feels better off after reading something I've written. I feel great when someone smiles because of me.... I love the feeling of warmth it gives me to know that I made a little difference to a life. :o)

I do this because it makes me happy. I don't do it as much because it helps someone, but because it makes me happy to see them happy because of me. :-)

I'm selfish because I do it for my own happiness. :o)
(Anonymous) wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 12:39 pm (UTC)
:)
in my dealings with you - you are the least selfish person i know.
thank you for all you have tried to help me with... (niki, etc.) but i think it is finally time that i give up. never thought i would do that, but it is happening. but hopefully you will stay in touch with me. take care jim.... best wishes - amanda
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 06:47 pm (UTC)
Re: :)
You're wrong there.... I'm very very selfish. When it serves my needs, I'll go to the ends of the Earth to get things done. If, in the process, someone gains from it, I feel all the better. :)

When I am the cause for the smile on someones face, I think it's worth any amount of effort to place it there. :) I love people, even if it's hard for me to get up close and personal with most of them.. :)

Giving up is not something I would suggest. Never give up. It's better to just set things aside and allow it to move into the background. Kinda like giving up temporarily, if you know what I mean.

I'll always be around and shall stay in touch.
Take care Amanda, and be good. :)

Kaydeeyoh!
(Anonymous) wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 07:35 am (UTC)
khaleej times
u staying in dubai or any of the other emirates?
very informative post

gayathri
angiasaa wrote:
Sep. 28th, 2005 06:39 pm (UTC)
Re: khaleej times
Nope, I'm stuck in India, doing my MBA in Hyderabad.

Thankyou, sometimes, I feel I hate the attention it brings me, sometimes, I love it.... :)

Kaydeeyoh!